How to relieve and prevent constipation
- Drink plenty of fluids (at least 2 liters of water/fluids daily and extra during the warm seasons)
- The Danish Health Authorities recommend a daily intake of 600 grams of fruit and vegetables. Eat foods that contain fiber such as rye bread, oatmeal and choose whole-grain bread and pasta
- Exercise at least 30 minutes daily and don’t postpone toilet visits when you feel the need
If the above advice does not help bowel movement, you can try using a gentle laxative such as psyllium and/or Magnesia, which can be bought over-the-counter at the pharmacy. Before use, follow the directions on the product and read the package insert.
Supplement with natural fibers from psyllium husks:
- Psyllium can be used as a daily fiber supplement and it is available under different brand names such as HUSK® and Sylliflor®, etc. You can sprinkle it on yoghurt or other sour milk products, or mix it with juice or water (remember to drink it immediately)
- The fibers in psyllium bind water to the intestine and ease the passage of the stool. It is extremely important to drink plenty of water/fluids when taking a fiber supplement. Otherwise, it can have to opposite effect.
- Take psyllium 2 hours before taking your usual medicine, as fiber supplements might interfere with uptake of medication
- Magnesia binds water to the intestine and softens the stool
- Take 2 to 3 tablets magnesia in the evening
- If you use magnesia, make sure you drink plenty of water/liquids